What is BAUD therapy?
The BAUD, or Bio Acoustical Utilization Device, is a new and powerful neurotherapy tool for personal change. Invented by Dr. Frank Lawlis, an American pioneer in medical psychology and the Clinic Director of the Lawlis-Peavey Clinic in Dallas, Texas. The BAUD is a hand-held device with a unique technology based on the latest discoveries of neuroscience. By simply listening to special sound frequencies through the BAUD earphones that are common to brain frequencies, you can actually affect the function of neural activity deep within the brain. The BAUD’s intermixed sound frequencies and waveforms help to stimulate natural brain plasticity which results in a powerful shift and release of the energy driving external problems. This same technology has been used in neurofeedback by doctors to treat serious disorders like depression, phobias, substance abuse, OCD, and ADHD.
The Brain: Source of All Problems
There are powerful energies at work in the brain that help drive reactions and compulsions. It has long been known that stress plays a major role in all sorts of problems: overeating, anxiety, depressed mood, anger reactions, and even addictions. Stress will magnify your problem when it pushes you to react to a situation the same way, over and over again. Every time you reach for a snack to calm down, or let yourself dwell on your fears, you actually create and strengthen neural pathways in the brain. These pathways are kind of like ruts in a well-worn road. Once made, you can follow the tracks easily, but it is extremely difficult to pull out of them. So it becomes harder and harder to resist these unwanted urges or reactions. It becomes a vicious circle. Each time you react, the ruts just get deeper. Eventually your brain gets stuck in the “on” and your unwanted habit becomes a constant nagging urge—and seems impossible to get rid of!
Changing these negative feelings or reactions is extremely difficult since the source is often unconscious. You don’t fully understand it; you can only feel it as an intense emotional pressure that expresses as an out-of-control appetite or a mind obsessed with worry. Until the source of this stress is relieved, the neural pathway stays active and the unwanted urge or feeling remains strong.
How Does the BAUD Work?
The BAUD allows you to disrupt unwanted neural patterns. The Baud is designed to emit sound frequencies that are common to brain frequencies. The user simply tunes the BAUD, and these frequencies mix to create a binaural pulses that initially match the brain frequency of the unwanted neural pattern and then interfere with the brain pattern and disrupt it.
The basic BAUD protocol is quite simple and used with every type of problem…
1. First, you activate your target issue by focusing your attention on it. Try and identify the location or area in your body where you actually feel your problem and allow yourself to fully experience it. For example, your anxiety about driving in busy city traffic and a feeling of nausea in the pit of your stomach. This activates the corresponding areas of the brain involved in this pattern of worrying thoughts, images, emotions, and physical feelings.
2. Next, you switch the BAUD on and balance the sound in your earphones by turning the right and left Volume control knobs (lower two knobs) on the BAUD until the sound you hear is moderately loud (not deafening) and perfectly equal in both ears so that it seems centred in your head.
3. Next, you slowly tune the Pitch or Arousal frequency of the BAUD (upper right pitch knob) until you feel the sound connect to either the body location of your problem—or, more importantly with your feelings themselves. Usually you will experience both at once and a noticeable intensification of your target feeling (e.g., anxiety). This is true whether the target feeling is emotional, an impulse or craving, or a physical sensation such as pain.
4. After you have found the proper Pitch setting, continue to focus on your problem feelings as you slowly turn the upper left Disruptor knob on the BAUD until you reach a place where the sound seems to neutralize or reduce your problem feeling (e.g., anxiety) you are focusing on. This indicates you are affecting the targeted neural areas of the brain. In the same way that may tune-in a radio station, you may turn the Disruptor knob past this point and then go back, to confirm this is the strongest neutralizing point. The BAUD will be effective over a certain frequency range, not just one point, but tuning as precisely as you can will help maximize results.
5. Lastly, you should continue to try to keep the target problem active by continually bringing it to mind and, therefore, keeping the neural activity going in the targeted brain areas. Try and do this for anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes after you have found the Disruptor frequency that reduces the targeted feeling before turning the BAUD off and ending the session.
The BAUD works most strongly on these active brain areas, and in a short time, there is usually a marked reduction in the problem’s level of intensity. The key to successfully using the BAUD is to awaken and focus on the feeling state that is associated with your problem. This includes both the physical and emotional feelings connected with your problem. A typical BAUD session may last from 15-30 minutes.
Based on results seen to date, it is believed that the BAUD is able to stimulate a parasympathetic response that brings the targeted neural circuits out of an aroused, or hyperactive state. BAUD results appear to be lasting and suggest that unwanted neural patterns are disrupted and reorganized toward a normalization of neural functioning.
Immediately after a session, many people report feeling profound improvement in stress-driven issues that may have plagued them for years, even a lifetime. While individual results will vary, most BAUD users experience a degree of relief from one session that will last anywhere from a few hours to several days or longer.
What problems can the BAUD Treat?
The BAUD is showing itself effective in treating many different emotional and physical symptoms. Dr. Lawlis has used it with nearly a thousand patients over the last three years at the Lawlis-Peavey Clinic to treat a broad range of emotional problems, physical cravings, and pain. Whether treating emotional or physical problems, the BAUD protocol is the same. Some of the problems that have been successfully treated are… appetite control, food cravings, smoking, anxiety, specific fears and phobias, depression, compulsions and obsessions, attentional problems, and pain.
To see a YouTube video from the Dr. Phil Show on the use of BAUD therapy to treat strong food cravings, GOTO: Dr. Phil talks about biofeedback device for cravings
How safe is the BAUD?
The BAUD is cleared and registered with the US Food and Drug Administration. It is recognized as safe, and there have never been any serious negative side effects reported from BAUD use, even with extended use in clinical applications. Although relatively quite rare, the most commonly reported adverse events have included headaches, temporary dizziness and nausea, and experiencing unwanted strong feelings without obtaining any reduction within the session. As well, some individuals who are especially sound sensitive may find the BAUD sound too unpleasant. Finally, some individuals will experience some continued sensitivity to environmental sounds or hear non-existent sounds (e.g., ringing, humming, water running, etc.) for a brief period after using the BAUD.
The BAUD is available from Insight NeuroSystems LLC, 15954 Mur-Len, Unit 125, Olathe, Kansas 66062, USA. www.mybaud.com